Sunday, September 17, 2006

Biovisons

A montage of subcellular biological activities, this is probably one of the coolest examples computer animation and modeling I've even seen. I'd dismiss it as overly fanciful if it wasn't for its affiliation with the Howard Huges Medical Institute the President and Fellows of Harvard College. I recognized a few of the organelles such as the slug like mitochondria and the lava-lampish endoplasmic reticulum, and I think I was watching RNA replicating proteins at one point, but I'm going to need someone (and this means you nSilico) to explain what a lot of those other things are. What was the hoverpad thing? Or the giant blob walker? Too weird.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheeseburger Brown said...

That is indeed a seriously cool animation. My daughter loves watching it over and over again, and asking me questions I have trouble answering.

Thus is my toddler introduced to the concept of "googling the answer."

Love,
Cheeseburger Brown

9/18/2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger Dædalux said...

I know how you feel! I imagine that's the goal behind the video, to force us to ask - What is that? - and to get us excited about learning the answers.

I think perhaps a fair bit more is now understood about the cell than when I last took Cellular Biology.

9/18/2006 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home